21 July 2009

You CAN see it till it's finished




I'm trying Assignment 11, the reflection assignment. This is definitely a WIP.
What I'm doing that's probably stupid:
  • I didn't do a bunch of thumbnails to start, so I don't really know if I have a workable composition.
  • As a result I've tentatively jammed the rough with diverse junk.
  • I've decided to make the room round, necessitating multiple VPs.
  • Stealing ideas for props from the Art of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Yes, the Disney version.
What I'm doing that's possibly smart:
  • Got out a big red-tag-table book on the Gothic Cathedral for ref.
  • I will put some big stuff in the foreground or die trying.
  • I'm doing 2-point mirror, 2-point object (basically) to keep it relatively simple.
  • I placed the horizon, VPs, her figure and reflection first, in that order. Everything else will complement them, with luck.
  • Subdivided the space between Queenie and her reflection to find the foot of the mirror, in effect letting them place the mirror instead of starting with her and the mirror and getting bossed around by them as to where to put the reflection. (Naturally, I did have to make sure she and her double lined up with my right MVP.)
  • Contrapposto: Having the weight-bearing hip be the near leg makes the leg appear longer, at maximum length and height. This will possibly minimize the unlegginess resulting from my using very ordinary proportions for her (I think they are a little more regal in her reflection). It also means, since the opposite shoulder rises, I can play down the height of the near shoulder, softening the dictates of the strong upshot, possibly avoiding a degree of hitch-shouldered gawkiness in her pose.

JH

No comments: